If you’re using an iPhone, there’s something you need to know.
IPhone users get another warning for the latest version of Apple from their mobile operating system. But cybersecurity experts urge consumers not to ignore this update, which covers an unprecedented kind of security breach.
Who is eligible?
IPhone 4 and later owners, iPad 2 and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later, can obtain this update, according to the Apple Support website. You must receive an automated notification that it is available or you can manually update it with iTunes.
Why it’s important
Apple iOS 9.3.5 on Thursday to three security issues, supposed to be used by the “digital weapons smugglers” to spy dissidents and journalists, according to The New York Times. Apple patch strives previously unknown spyware that infiltrates iPhones and can read messages, follow conversations and contacts, record sounds, collect passwords and location information, researchers told the Times.
The discovery of the hack is spooky on its own. But what users really need to know is how to make sure they have the latest, safest version of their iPhones.
How to upgrade
Here are Apple’s instructions on how to upgrade on the Apple Support page:
Before you update
Back up your device with iCloud or iTunes.
Update your device wirelessly
If a message indicates that an update is available, tap Install now. You can also follow these steps:
1. Connect the device to the power and connect to the internet using Wi-Fi.
- Tap Settings> General> Software Update.
3. Click Download and Install. If a message requests temporary removal of applications because iOS requires more space for the update, press Continue or Cancel. Next, iOS will reinstall the installed applications. If you click Cancel, If you tap Cancel, learn what to do next.
- Tap Settings to update now. Or you can tap later and choose ‘Tonight install’ or
‘Remember me later’. If you click on “Install” tonight, simply connect the iOS device to the wall outlet before going to sleep. Your device will be updated automatically overnight.
5. Enter your password if prompted. If you do not know your passcode, learn what to do.
If you see an error or need more space when upgrading wirelessly.
If you see an error message while trying to update your device wirelessly, learn what to do. If you need more space for a wireless upgrade, you can upgrade with iTunes or manually remove the contents of your device. Whether you use iTunes or wireless updates, you get the same amount of free space on your device after upgrading.
Some iOS software updates are not available wirelessly. VPN or proxy connections may prevent your device from contacting iOS update servers.
Update your device with iTunes
If you can not upgrade to your iOS device wirelessly, you can manually upgrade with iTunes on a trusted computer. If your computer uses Personal Hotspot on your iOS device to upgrade, connect your computer to Wi-Fi or other Ethernet network before upgrading.
1. Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
2. Connect your device to your computer.
3. Open iTunes and select your device.
4. Click Summary, and then click Search for Update.
5. Click Download and Update.
If you see error messages in iTunes, or you need more space to update
Get help if you see error messages while updating your device with iTunes. Or, if you need more space for an update, you can manually delete the contents of your device.
Make room for the update
Yes, it’s painful, but you may need to take the time to back up or investigate applications and photos are used to create space. Apple has some tips on their website and some other publications.