The release of a new version of iOS is exciting: new features, new emoji, bugfixes, but that emotion can spoil quickly if you do not have enough space on your iPhone to update. If you try to install the update directly to your iPhone and use most of your phone storage, a warning may indicate that you have insufficient space and complete the update.
But that does not mean you can not update.
Here are some tips to update your iPhone if you do not have enough space.
What happens during the installation of an iOS update?
When you update your iPhone wirelessly to the latest version, the new software will be downloaded directly from Apple to your phone. That means you need free space on your phone that matches the size of the update. But it needs more space than that: the installation process must also create temporary files and delete outdated and unused files. If you do not have that space, you can not update.
This is not a big problem today, due to the huge storage capacity of some iPhones, but if you have an older phone or one with 32GB or less of storage, you can find it.
Install through iTunes
A very simple way to avoid this problem is not to update wirelessly. Work with iTunes instead. Of course, it’s quick and easy to install the update wirelessly, but if you sync your iPhone with a computer, try that approach and your problem will be fixed.
This works because the installation software has been downloaded to your computer and only the necessary files are installed on your phone. iTunes is smart enough to understand what’s on your phone and how much space you have, and spell that data to make room for updating without losing anything.
This is what you want to do:
1. Connect your iPhone to the computer with which it is synchronized via the supplied USB cable
2. Start iTunes if it does not start automatically
3. Click the iPhone icon in the top left corner just below the play buttons
4. A popup window will pop up announcing that there is an iOS update for you. Otherwise, click Update Search in the iTunes Overview
5. Click Download and Update in the window that appears. The installation will begin and within a few minutes your iPhone will be updated, no matter how much space you have available.
Find out how many applications in space applications use and delete
To address the issue that there is not enough storage available, Apple has some knowledge about the update process. From iOS 9, when iOS addresses this issue, it tries to intelligently remove some downloadable content from its applications to free up space. Once the update is complete, download that content again so you do not lose anything.
However, in some cases, that process does not work. When that happens, your best option is to remove data from your iPhone. Here are some tips on how to decide what to delete.
There is an integrated tool in iOS that lets you see how much space each application uses on your phone. This is a good place to start when you need to delete applications.
To access this tool:
1. Touch Settings
2. Touch General
3. Touch Storage and use of iCloud
4. In the Storage section, touch Manage storage.
Here is a list of all the applications on your phone, sorted from largest to smallest. Even better, you can remove applications directly from this screen. Simply touch the application you want to delete and touch Delete application on the next screen.
Remove applications and then install:
With this information, I recommend working in this order:
• Remove applications that you no longer use: you may have some games or other applications on your phone that you no longer use. This is a good time to eliminate them and free up space. Some games can take 1 GB or more, so removing them can generate a lot of space.
- Delete deleted voice mails: voice mails can be hung on your phone even after deleting them. Removing them removes the voice messages from a garbage that is regularly emptied, not immediately. You can use dozens of old voice messages that take up space on your device. To delete them immediately, go to Phone, touch Voicemail, touch Deleted messages, and touch Delete all.
- Delete will erase photographs – Just as voices messages remain images are actually removed around 30 days depend on your phone before they are deleted. This is great if you accidentally deleted a photo and want to restore it, but not if you need that storage space. Delete your deleted photos by opening the Photos application, and then tap Albums, tap recently removed, tap Select and press any photo you want to delete (a blue photo tick selected), and then Delete.
- When using HDR, Delete regular photos – If you create HDR photos with your iPhone, you have two copies of each photo in the photo library: a single and normal HDR image. It is not necessary to maintain both. Remove non-HDR images in your Photos application (these are of lower quality) and then delete the deleted photos.
- Delete podcast episodes: downloaded, but unrecord podcasts can take up a lot of space. I listen to podcasts almost every day and I still have 2 GB unrecognized shows that take up space on my phone. Delete episodes to free up space and then download them again after the update. Make sure to erase recent episodes; Older episodes may no longer be available for downloading again.
- Use iCloud photo library – With the iCloud service Apple photo library allows you to store your photos in your iCloud account instead of your device. This is a great way to keep your photos, but make sure they do not take up a lot of space on your phone.
There are two steps to do this. First shift of iCloud photo library by clicking on Settings and then iCloud and then on Photos, and then move the slider to the iCloud photo library on / green. Then touch Optimize phone storage. Upload the versions of your photos and videos in full resolution to iCloud, leaving lower resolution versions on your phone, taking up less space. You can download the higher resolution versions of iCloud, if you wish.
With these space-saving tactics, you should have released more than enough space for the iOS update. Please try again and, once it works, you can download the desired content once the update is complete.
One that does not work: remove integrated applications:
In iOS 10, Apple introduced the ability to remove the applications provided with your iPhone. It sounds like a great way to free up space, right? Actually, it is not. Although it is known as removing an application, simply hide it when you do this with preloaded applications. Therefore, they are not really deleted and they no longer give you space on your device. The good news is that applications do not take up much space, so you do not have to leave much space.