If you have an iPhone 4 and want to enjoy the latest version of the smartphone’s operating system, iOS 8, you should know that this is not possible. The oldest model that accepts this system update is the iPhone 4s. However, it is not recommended to install it because many users have reported that their iPhone 4 runs much slower once the update is installed. At OneHowTo.com we answer the question if iOS8 can be installed on the iPhone 4.
Steps to follow:
1. As we said, you can not install iOS8 on the iPhone 4 unless you have disabled your jailbreak (step 7), so if you want to enjoy all the new updates, you should think about renewing your phone. If you are worried about the costs, consider selling your iPhone so that you can get some money for the new smartphone.
2. The oldest iPhone model that accepts the latest iOS update is the iPhone 4s. Although you can download it, however, it is not advisable to keep a mobile phone that works with dexterity and that responds quickly to your requirements, without failing.
These are the models that accept iOS 8:
• Iphone 4s.
• iPhone 5.
• Iphone 5s.
• Iphone 5c.
• Iphone 6.
• iPhone 6 Plus.
3. The usual thing that happens, and many users have confirmed, is that in this case, when a previous model of iPhone downloads the latest version of the operating system, designed for the latest model of iPhone – 6 and 6 Plus currently – the not so optimal operation and starts to go slowly.
4. Whether for purely technical reasons or marketing and business, it is a fact that even works on an iPhone 5, iOS 8 does not work perfectly and it shows a slight decrease in performance.
5. In any case, if you want to update to the latest version of iOS accepted by your iPhone model, go to “Settings” and then to “General” and then to “Software update”. If there is a new version for your phone, you will be asked to download it; if this is not the case, a message will appear indicating that the software is updated.
6. In case you update and an error message appears, we recommend that you visit this page of Apple explaining the meaning of the error codes for your systems: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694 ? viewlocale = en_US.
7. If you want to install iOS 8 on your iPhone 4 with a jailbreak, you must install it on your iPhone 4, although it is not recommended, as we said earlier.
8. Once you have released your iPhone with jailbreak, you can open Cydia on your phone. Look for cydia settings for iOS 7 users that are:
• Interactive message notifications
• Centrex (iOS 8 Control Center)
You just have to install them to update your iPhone4. We remind you that this is not a recommended option.